By Jay Frierson
- Monday: The game between the New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park was postponed. 12 Miami Marlins players and two coaches tested positive for COVID-19 while playing there over the weekend. There is likely to be a doubleheader scheduled, or for the game to be made up when the teams play in NewYork, later in the season.
- Tuesday: The Texas Rangers have placed veteran righty Corey Kluber on the 45-day IL due to a Grade 2 tear in his right shoulder. Brutal news for Kluber and the Rangers.
- Wednesday: Veteran infielder Jose Reyes announced his retirement. The 37-year old played 16 MLB seasons. Reyes was on the way to being potentially one of the better shortstops in baseball until injuries and off-the-field issues took over. He’s most known for his production with the New York Mets, but he also played for the Miami Marlins, Toronto Blue Jays and Colorado Rockies. He made a return to the Mets in 2017, and started off well, but then scuffled at the plate only batting .189.
- Thursday: The MLB and MLBPA have reached an agreement for doubleheaders this season. The deal will take away nine-inning doubleheaders for both games, and drop them down to only seven innings. However, the rule is only in effect for this season. The rule took effect on Sunday.
- Friday: MLB commissioner Rob Manfred informed MLBPA chief Tony Clark that the league would shutdown if the COVID-19 cases keep increasing as they have been on teams. 20 players and nine staff members all tested positive within the past week, which most were from the Miami Marlins.
- Saturday: Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain has opted out of the rest of the 2020 MLB season. It is not COVID or injury related. Cain opting out means he walks away from part of his prorated portion of $16MM. He signed a five-year, $80MM deal in 2018.
- Sunday: New York Mets veteran outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has opted out for the rest of the 2020 MLB season. COVID-19 concerns is the reason for the opt-out. The Mets were unsure where Cespedes was in the afternoon. His hotel room was completely clear, and they feared for his safety. They learned from his agent hours later that he wouldn’t be returning for the 2020 campaign.
- According to Paul Hoynes of Cleveland.com, the Cleveland Indians have selected the contract of catcher Beau Taylor, and have DFA’d righty, James Hoyt.
- Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports that the Cleveland Indians have placed catcher Roberto Perez on the IL with a right shoulder injury.
News and Notes
- According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Chicago Cubs are considering moving closer Craig Kimbrel out of that role. He’s already given up 11 homeruns in only 22 innings
- According to Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald, the Miami Marlins will resume their season tomorrow against the Baltimore Orioles. They have missed the last week due to positive COVID test.
- Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the New York Mets have traded righty Jordan Humphreys to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for outfielder, Billy Hamilton.
- New York Mets infielder Jed Lowrie has been moved from the 10-day IL to the 45-day IL. He suffered a back injury on July 20 against the New York Yankees. In a corresponding move, the Mets have activated righty Jared Hughes from the IL. He is returning from a positive COVID-19 diagnosis.
- The San Diego Padres have placed first baseman Eric Hosmer on the 10-day IL with gastritis.
- Tim Healy of Newsday reports that the Pittsburgh Pirates have traded righty Tyler Bashlor to the New York Mets in exchange for cash considerations.
- Free agent veteran lefty Francisco Liriano has opted out of the 2020 MLB season.
- According to James Fegan of The Athletic, the Chicago White Sox have requested waivers on righty Kelvin Herrera for his unconditional release.
- Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Houston Astros have placed closer Robert Osuna on the 10-day IL with right elbow soreness.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers activated lefty Clayton Kershaw. However, he didn’t start the game as originally scheduled against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- The Milwaukee Brewers have placed outfielder Ryan Braun in the 10-day IL due to an infection in his right index finger.
- According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts is day-to-day after experiencing soreness in his left middle finger against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- The Miami Marlins have claimed lefty Brian Moran off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that Los Angeles Angels righty/outfielder Shohei Ohtani underwent an MRI on his right arm after experiencing discomfort in his right arm against the Houston Astros.. He has suffered a forearm/elbow strain and will not be able to pitch for 4-to-6 weeks
- The Texas Rangers have placed outfielder Danny Santana on the 10-day IL with a right forearm strain.
Photo: USA Today