- Monday: Chicago White Sox outfielder Eloy Jimenez suffered a ruptured left pectoral tendon and will require surgery. He will miss five-to-six months of action. Huge blow for that lineup.
- Tuesday: Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Ji-Man Choi will undego arthroscopic surgery on his right knee after suffering discomfort in it for most of Spring Training. He will miss three-to-five weeks of the season.
- Wednesday: New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor agreed to a 10-year, $341MM contract extension. He will be paid a $21MM signing bonus. The deal also includes a no-trade team clause of 15 clubs if the Mets were to trade him. Lindor also doesn’t have any opt-out clauses.
- Thursday: The Los Angeles Angels signed second baseman David Fletcher to a five-year, $26MM contract extension. The contract also includes a $1.5MM buyout in 2027.
- Friday: The Opening Day game between the Washington Nationals and NewYork Mets was postponed due to COVID issues. Four player tested positive on the Nationals . 10 individuals were in quarantine.
- Saturday: The Minnesota Twins placed third baseman Josh Donaldson on the 10-day DL due to a mild hamstring strain he suffered against the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Sunday: Chicago White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson left the game against the Los Angeles Angels in the first inning after suffering a left hamstring injury attempting to beat out a grounder. He is day-to-day.
- Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun reported that the Cleveland Indians traded Adam Plutko to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for cash considerations.
News and Notes
- The Pittsburgh Pirates placed third baseman Ke’Bryan Hayes on the 10-day DL due to left wrist inflammation he suffered during the game against the Chicago Cubs.
- Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Pittsburgh Pirates designated RHP Tyler Bashor for assignment.
- According to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, free agent righty Anibal Sanchez has drawn interest from multiple teams, and could be signed within the next week. The Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Phillies have been linked to him.
- The Toronto Blue Jays designated catcher Reese McGuire and infielder Breyvic Valera for assignment. Their positions will go to veteran infielder Joe Panik and lefty, Tim Mayza.
- Oakland Athletics outfielder Chad Pinder suffered a left knee sprain in Sunday’s game against the Houston Astros after running into the wall to make a jumping catch. He will receive an MRI tomorrow.
- Jesse Doughtery of the Washington Post reports that the Washington Nationals will begin their season on Tuesday against the Atlanta Braves. Their season opener was postponed due to COVID issues.
- The Los Angeles Angels placed righty Tony Gonsolin on the 10-day IL with inflammation in his throwing shoulder. He’s been dealing with the issue since Spring Training ended, and is yet to make his season debut.
- According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Arizona Diamondbacks righty Joakim Soria left the game against the San Diego Padres after suffering a potential calf strain.