Top Stories Monday: The Cleveland Indians placed Cy Young Shane Bieber on the 10-day IL due to a right shoulder strain. He is expected to miss significant time, and there […]
- Monday: The Cleveland Indians placed Cy Young Shane Bieber on the 10-day IL due to a right shoulder strain. He is expected to miss significant time, and there is currently no time-table for his return. Brutal loss for the Tribe.
- Tuesday: The Washington Nationals placed veteran lefty Max Scherzer on the 10-day IL due to groin inflammation. He is expected to start today against the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Wednesday: The MLB plans to crack down on pitcher’s using “sticky stuff” or spider tack. The crack down started on Monday. Umpires checked the hands and glove of each pitcher that was used during the game. So far, there have been no reported incidents of the substance being used.
- Thursday: The New York Yankees traded first baseman Mike Ford to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for cash considerations and a PTBNL.
- Friday: Los Angeles Angels two-way player Shohei Ohtani is expected to participate in this year’s Homerun Derby. He has hit 19 HR’s–which trails Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Fernando Tatis Jr.–who both have 22 HR’s apiece. He will also likely represent the American League as an All-Star as well.
- Saturday: San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. left the game against the Cincinnati Reds after re-injuring his left shoulder on a dive for a grounder. He played in Monday’s game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Sunday: The Detroit Tigers released veteran catcher Wilson Ramos and DFA’d righty, Beau Burrows.
- The Cleveland Indians placed catcher Austin Hedges on the 7-day concussion protocol list, and activated fellow catcher, Ryan Lavarnway.
- Cleveland Indians righty Aaron Civale left the game against the Chicago Cubs due to a hand injury. This is another brutal loss to a rotation that is already beaten up.
News and Notes
- The Arizona Diamondback have placed catcher Carson Kelly on the 10-day IL with a fractured right wrist.
- Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Colorado Rockies have placed lefty Austin Gomber on the 10-day IL with left forearm tightness.
- The San Francisco Giants have re-instated righty John Brebbia from the 60-day IL. He underwent Tommy John surgery last season. This is one of the quicker turn-arounds from the surgery.
- The Minnesota Twins have signed righty Kyle Barraclough to a minor-league deal. He was just released by the New York Yankees.
- According to Jamie Campbell of Sportsnet.ca, the Toronto Blue Jays have signed veteran reliever John Axford to a contract. Axford last pitched for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2018.
- The Tampa Bay Rays called up top infield prospect, Wander Franco for Tuesday’s game against the Boston Red Sox. Baseball America has ranked him the top prospect for the last two seasons. He has raw power, and a lot of upside offensively, but he still has to improve his defense.