To participate on our message boards you must register for either a Fan account (free) or Insider account ($4.99/month). Once registered, you can login via the link above the site logo at the top of the page or through the link here within the message boards.

To register for a free account to access the message boards, click here. To become an Insider and get full site access, click here.

2020 Updated Top Pr...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 Updated Top Prospects Lists  

RSS

Marty Taber
(@mtaber)
Draft Prospect
07/18/2020 2:39 pm  

I’ve been so frustrated with this pandemic and it’s impact on sports in general, baseball more particularly, and minor league teams specifically, that I’ve struggled to get my interest level up to par.  I know there will be no milb but thought it would be nice to see where we all are at with our prospects, especially now that the draft picks are all signed.

My thoughts on our new guys are that none will crack the top ten area, where Jones, Freeman, Valera, Rocchio, Espino, Hankins, Mckenzie, Naylor, Karinchak, Bracho, Johnson would all probably be in their way.  But the “new” Logan Allen and Petey Halpin would slot in the 12-20 range, with Tucker and Burns in the low 20’s and Hickman and Tolentino slotting in the late 20’s or 30’s.   

Any comments would be appreciated...

Willie Hood
(@willhoo99)
Member Moderator
07/25/2020 10:33 am  

Some news on the prospects list front...

There will be a top 50 prospects list coming out from IBI soon. However, with the minor leagues out of action this season, there’s not a lot of fresh information. That is obvious, but it doesn’t change the fact that these players are still at work and there’s still information to be gleaned. Though it has become more difficult, yet it has allowed for time to view more footage of the players in the system in 2019.

The newest top 50 will be in an abbreviated format similar to the draft capsules prior to the 2020 Draft. This will include the newest draft picks and a few changes to the list. There won’t be any dramatic changes to the prospect list but with three sets of eyes and some differing evaluation styles. Overall, you’ll see a unique approach and evaluation of players.

ReplyQuote
Marty Taber
(@mtaber)
Draft Prospect
07/26/2020 9:49 am  

Thanks WP, I mean Willie! Looking forward to it!

ReplyQuote
The Prosecutor
(@pros)
Rookie League baller
07/28/2020 8:10 am  

Here's one from mlb.com:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/indians/

And from Fangraphs:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/indians/

Comparing the two, they both have pretty good agreement at the top, but in a slightly different order. Fangraphs has Karinchak and Daniel Johnson at #5 and #6 while MLB has them at #14 and #13, behind Bobby Bradley and 18-year-old Gabriel Rodriguez. Are you kidding me? 

Both sites have Nolan Jones #1 and they agree that Valera, Tyler Freeman, Rocchio, Espino, and Naylor belong in the top eight. 

Fangraphs is high on a couple of young pitchers, Torres and Oviedo (9 and 11), while MLB ranks them 23 and 19. Fangraphs really likes our pitchers with Karinchak and Espino ranked 5 and 7 followed by a run of six straight pitchers at 9-15. 

Fangraphs has this year's draft class of Tucker, Burns and Halpin ranked in the 20-25 range. MLB only lists 30 players and none of the newbies made the cut.

FG had Yu Chang and Cam Hill, who both played on Sunday, ranked 40 and 44.

Overall, FG ranks our farm system 12th. In our division, Detroit is 4th, the White Sox 7th, the Twins 15th, and the Royals 21st.  

ReplyQuote
Marty Taber
(@mtaber)
Draft Prospect
07/28/2020 10:43 am  

@pros

Thanks for responding. This site is so dead I don’t think there’s much point in continuing this. The site is so clunky that it’s difficult to do anything without jumping through hoops. Login says my password is wrong, but then I return to the site and I’m logged in after all.  

ReplyQuote
Willie Hood
(@willhoo99)
Member Moderator
07/28/2020 11:51 am  
Posted by: @mtaber

@pros

Thanks for responding. This site is so dead I don’t think there’s much point in continuing this. The site is so clunky that it’s difficult to do anything without jumping through hoops. Login says my password is wrong, but then I return to the website, and I’m logged in after all.  

It has been a difficult transition.

The timing of the change with no minor league ball in place has made things difficult.

There are some of the former posters here, and it has grown slowly, but it's not what it once was. I think there are numerous reasons for that—social media, etc.

Being tied in Word Press makes it easier to write and has some excellent setup options, but the add ons can be limited (like the forums add on). I'll see what we can do to correct that issue - I have it too.

Speaking personally (and from I know), the goal was to provide a bridge and keep the site going and make improvements as we go. That said, it hasn't been a "soft landing." I think that is the frustration and disappointment you express, and we all (fans of IBI) share.

ReplyQuote
DetDawg
(@detdawg)
Low-A dreamer
07/28/2020 12:37 pm  
Posted by: @willhoo99
Posted by: @mtaber

@pros

Thanks for responding. This site is so dead I don’t think there’s much point in continuing this. The site is so clunky that it’s difficult to do anything without jumping through hoops. Login says my password is wrong, but then I return to the website, and I’m logged in after all.  

It has been a difficult transition.

The timing of the change with no minor league ball in place has made things difficult.

There are some of the former posters here, and it has grown slowly, but it's not what it once was. I think there are numerous reasons for that—social media, etc.

Being tied in Word Press makes it easier to write and has some excellent setup options, but the add ons can be limited (like the forums add on). I'll see what we can do to correct that issue - I have it too.

Speaking personally (and from I know), the goal was to provide a bridge and keep the site going and make improvements as we go. That said, it hasn't been a "soft landing." I think that is the frustration and disappointment you express, and we all (fans of IBI) share.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you've got the wrong link for the Fangraphs prospects list.

ReplyQuote
Willie Hood
(@willhoo99)
Member Moderator
07/28/2020 12:41 pm  

I believe this would be the correct link...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-46-prospects-cleveland-indians/

ReplyQuote
The Prosecutor
(@pros)
Rookie League baller
07/30/2020 8:00 am  

@willhoo99

Thanks, I copied the same link twice. 

I've also had login problems where I was told I have the wrong password but was logged in anyway. That seems to have cleared up in the last few days.

I understand the old IBI site was mainly focused on the farm system and since there's no minor league ball right now it's a bad time to start up. You may have to limp along until next year, but it will be worth the wait. 

ReplyQuote
Willie Hood
(@willhoo99)
Member Moderator
07/30/2020 8:44 am  
Posted by: @pros

@willhoo99

I've also had log in problems where I was told I have the wrong password but was logged in anyway. That seems to have cleared up in the last few days.

I understand the old IBI site was mainly focused on the farm system, and since there's no minor league ball right now, it's a wrong time to start up. You may have to limp along until next year, but it will be worth the wait. 

Our goal was to "return to our roots." That means to turn the site focus back to prospect coverage. That has been difficult with no minor league seasons. 

I found it easier to subscribe to each thread and receive the email notification. It is a way to sidestep logging in altogether. But, he has been clunky at best. From my phone, I check the email and just click the link. For example: click on "Roster Musings" or click on "Draft Talk," whatever the case, and it takes me straight to it with no sign in needed.

I will post some of my rankings here in the coming days. These won't be the same as the sites bc we used a collaborative approach.

ReplyQuote
Mackie_Lundquist
(@mackie_lundquist)
Draft Prospect
07/31/2020 6:16 pm  
Posted by: @willhoo99
Posted by: @pros

@willhoo99

I've also had log in problems where I was told I have the wrong password but was logged in anyway. That seems to have cleared up in the last few days.

I understand the old IBI site was mainly focused on the farm system, and since there's no minor league ball right now, it's a wrong time to start up. You may have to limp along until next year, but it will be worth the wait. 

Our goal was to "return to our roots." That means to turn the site focus back to prospect coverage. That has been difficult with no minor league seasons. 

I found it easier to subscribe to each thread and receive the email notification. It is a way to sidestep logging in altogether. But, he has been clunky at best. From my phone, I check the email and just click the link. For example: click on "Roster Musings" or click on "Draft Talk," whatever the case, and it takes me straight to it with no sign in needed.

I will post some of my rankings here in the coming days. These won't be the same as the sites bc we used a collaborative approach.

I will be patient. Logging in was a pain but I finally made it. When the farm system reopens in 2021 this will be the best Tribe Spiders site on the web.

ReplyQuote
rsamak
(@rsamak)
Draft Prospect
08/01/2020 12:42 pm  

I login a 2nd time and it accepts.

ReplyQuote
Marty Taber
(@mtaber)
Draft Prospect
08/05/2020 8:28 am  

@rsamak

Hoping to see some of our updated prospect rankings. Difficult, I know, with no minor league season...

ReplyQuote
Share: